Tuesday, January 10, 2017

UOD: January 10, 2017


*dusts off this corner of the internet* I'm finally playing UO for long enough periods to warrant its own posts on this blog, so here I am. Screenshot above is from Atlantic - it's still bustling! How awesome is that?

I logged in to Test Center with the intention of testing out the new BOD system. I've known about it for a while now, but never had enough time to sit down and take a look at the new system.


Remember this old website? I'm pretty sure anyone who consistently did Bulk Order Deeds is familiar with it. It helped me many a time throughout the years.

Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) the new system has rendered this website void. Submitting BODs works much like the newer reward systems (clean up, zoo, Vesper museum, etc.). One can submit their BOD for X amount of points to use IMMEDIATELY, or save a significantly smaller amount to stockpile. For an example of this point system, a BOD for 20 leather gloves (normal quality) would net 50 instant points and 1.0 bank points.

In short, I don't see the point in stockpiling points unless you feel it's worth nickel-and-diming the points for higher tier turn-ins. The thing I don't get is you cannot stack an immediate-use with your bank points. Let's say I want a 300 point reward and I have 50 points saved. If the BOD I want to turn in is worth 250 immediate points, I cannot select "use now" and stack those 250 points with my 50 saved points to get the 300 point reward. I don't think that makes sense at all. Since I've been looking through the rewards available I've decided it's not worth saving points. Not on Test Center, at least. I can see how a major BOD player on a production shard might think it's worth it to save their lesser BODS. Even then, the new bribery system lets you upgrade your BODS.


Back on track. At one point, I grew tired of my small selection of BODS to fulfill on TC and decided to copy over a character with my hoards of T-BODS on Lake Austin. While I was combining my BOD books, a good ol' chap decided to pipe up in general chat. Ah, at least some things stay the same. *eyeroll*

I finished and copied over that character, only to get stuck in one of my mental rabbit holes I tend to go down.

I wonder if these new items have saturated Atlantic's vendors yet? Of course they have, but let me check. Oh my, they have! Whaat? A 120 Tailoring powerscroll for 100k? But I don't have a crafter on this account... You know, I could really use a crafter. I wonder how much it would cost for stacks of 60k boards, ingots, and cloth? Oh, that's not too bad... I would need a basic 100% LRC set, though. What's that? Only 5,000 GP?!


20 minutes later I was running around on a new character, mass making cloaks and robes.

I've come to realize that there have been a lot of changes to the game to make certain things much easier. I no longer have to use UOAssist to mass macro "make last item" - instead my tailoring menu has "make max." I can also use a salvage bag to mass cut my cloth items, getting back some of the resources. I didn't remember about the salvage bag for a good 45 minutes, so it was a bit of a pleasant surprise to remember that it was readily available off a provisioner.

I also enjoy being able to access my gold without transferring it from one char to another. I don't have to worry about how long it'll be before I have to do a char switch to transfer bank checks over in a secure location.

The rest of my day was spent playing UO in that I've been making stuff and doing the periodic change to new sewing kit, salvage cloth, and add new cloth from bank. While all of this had been happening I've been surfing the web (mainly Stratics) to catch up on the stuff I've been missing. All in all a productive day! 10 hours later my character has GM'd her tailoring. I'm sure I could have achieved it faster, but I was doing other things in the real world while letting my character craft and wasn't 100% efficient with my time in game.

2 comments:

  1. I got a little more excited at seeing this post than I needed to. LOL
    I mean, geez, anything UO is like a welcomed trip back to the good ol' days. I haven't played for a while now, since before Christmas. Even then it was still just to log on and get daily gains on one character. I really need to just park my butt here, tune out the world, and PLAY. I just don't know what to do anymore without my menfolk playing too.

    I supposed I should take my Christmas trees down at my one remaining house.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I would say it's just the right amount of excitement.
      Aaah, the good ol' days of living at home and my worst issues being related to homework.
      I logged on in December and managed to get all of my holiday gifts. I'm becoming a bit of a hoarder, though. I never want to use my gifts in case I need them for something else.

      My tree is staying up until the game says "no more." Either that or I get into the decorating spirit.

      Delete