Friday, January 13, 2017

UOD: January 13, 2017


Training has continued for my new crafter on Atlantic. She has trained up tailoring, magery, meditation, evaluating intelligence, and right now I'm working on tinkering. I bought a scroll of alacrity for tinkering at 50 and it took me almost to 70, giving me an incredible boost and saving quite a bit of time.

I've started looking into buying a premade magery suit with high LRC, Mana Regeneration, Int bonus, and resists. I also feel like I should pick up a few soulstones to cover all of the training I'm doing on this crafter. I would still like to train up inscription, carpentry, blacksmithing, alchemy, and cooking. I'm thinking six or seven soulstones should be enough to cover my crafter's needs. Unfortunately, these things aren't commonly found on vendors anymore so I will have to shell out real world money for it. I'm not entirely sure when I plan to get started on this, or if I'll ever get that   far in playing this time around. Now that I think about it, I should probably go ahead and make another character to train up those skills instead of shelling out the money for several soulstones.


On Lake Austin, I started up some plants again. That turned into a giant adventure for me. I realized I only had four sugar cane seeds. Sugar is in high demand, due to the new BOD system, so I decided to try and get some of these seeds.

While doing that, I remembered someone mentioning on Stratics that Lake Austin vendors seem to be lacking in regular vines, and there is a high need for thorns and petals.

I loaded up another character on a different account to start filling potion kegs while I switched between killing kappas, planting thorns, and gathering reagents. I was incredibly dismayed to realize that there are no bulk resource vendors on Lake Austin anymore, leaving me to stock my own resources. In case you're wondering, the process of stocking up on reagents from NPCs is just as tedious as it was 19 years ago. You have to slowly build up their product and then move on to another vendor once their prices start going up.

I managed to get an extra 12k or so of each reagent before calling it a night. In between these runs, I took some time to use the vendor search function and walk around Luna to get an idea of the state of things. There are a few sparsely stocked vendors, most of which are from the past year, and evidence of several attempted and failed vendor shops, but most of the vendor world of Lake Austin has died off. Even a very well known LA shop owner/realtor/guild master has moved on to Atlantic, which is telling me that owning a vendor shop isn't the most profitable of endeavors. Conclusion: vendors must be a labor of love. That works for me, because I've always done my vendor shops as a hobby/passion more than means of making money.

I finished off the day by taming a blue beetle. This guy will come in handy for the next time I choose to stock up on reagents.

7 comments:

  1. I'm so out of touch with the game that I don't even know what seeds produce what plant, and what plants produce what resources. *sigh* I'd love to get back into the gardening part of if all. That's what I loved most back in those obsessed days. While hubby and cohorts were out seeking glory, I was planting seeds. lol That quest in Brit, to study the solen nests, and then get the colored seed? THAT was the most exciting thing at the time! A fire seed?!?!?! OMG!!!! lol

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to say, the little bit that I play these days, I've killed every plant because I just forget I have them growing. DOH! And I don't even know where to get what anymore so I just get the basic ones off boglings in New Haven. Probably a good thing it's just the basic ones I'm killing. lol

      ~Deb

      Delete
    2. I have had the same issue the past few times I tried growing plants - I forgot or missed a day or two and the plants were unable to recover. I'm slowly building up a stash of Raised Garden Beds - 3/~$19.99, and each garden bed has the ability to offer up to 9 slots of non-tended plant growing.
      I have yet to build up a complete seed/plant set, and it's made exceptionally hard by the accidental addition of colored peculiar plants. Those plants make it really hard to get the cacti seeds and plants in all colors. Someone on Stratics did the math and the chance of getting the cactus you want when you cross-pollinate now is as rare, if not rarer, than the white and black seed mutation. I guess all this means I just have to keep planting, buahaha!
      The good thing is bog things can now drop any "classic" seeds in the base four colors, saving some of the hassle of cross-breeding to get gen 2-4 started in your collection.

      It's complex thing. I never considered myself the kind of person who would use Excel sheets to play a video game, but I definitely use one for my plant growing.

      Delete
    3. We paid real world money for our first three (?) houses in UO because back then you could not find a spot to place even the tiniest one. I've always cringed at that, paying money for virtual items, but it was so FUN at the time! These plant bed things just might get me to pay real money again. lol

      ~Deb

      Delete
    4. Hey, if you got genuine happiness from it then it was a good investment! When I started playing in 2002, the only house we had across several accounts was a log cabin on Chesapeake. That poor house was so full, especially since I didn't realize you could re-dye dresses... and had chests full of every single chest color I liked.

      The plant beds are totally worth it! If you love growing plants but need a little break from some of the grind of daily plant care, this is the way to go.

      Delete
    5. Where can I find them? The UO store? Can you link me? I'm going to finish Skylanders first then try to get into the habit of playing UO again before I plunk money down. Since I've part-time come back this most recent time, I've just been piling 'Ooh, enhance that!' loot into chests in my house and have accumulated such a mess of stuff. I need to reacquaint myself with all of that stuff!

      ~Deb

      Delete
    6. I can't link it because I can't even get to the US page on Origin to look at it. EA is doing a wonderful job of being unfriendly to expats in non-US regions with US money and a US billing address.
      If you go to Origin and search "Ultima Online" or "Sovereigns" you should be able to find them. 2,000 sovereigns will cost you $19.99 + tax last time I checked, and once you pay for them you'll be sent a code via e-mail (sometimes the code is immediately shown at the check out page). You'll paste that code into your account management page (the EAMythic account management one). From there, log into your game on whatever shard you want to buy the stuff on, go to your help menu, then select UO Store. The 3 set of garden beds is on the 3rd page of the Decorations section.

      So, totally easy process. *eyeroll*

      Delete