Monday, January 20, 2020

UOD: January 20, 2020 - A Pirate's Life For Me


Ah. The beautiful gray of failure.

I still don't fully understand how this happened. I looked away from the screen for two seconds to move some cords out of my way. The next moment I was dead. I've never had particular issues handling succubi before. Something about today had all of them scrambling to kill me even as they were actively peaced.


Since killing succubi wasn't going all that great, I thought I would finally try some pirating. The Rising Tide event line added in more ship battles and rewards -shoulder parrot? Yes please!- and I've been meaning to try out this content for a while.

Since I lost all of my cannoneering gear in The Accident I had to start from scratch to craft all of the necessary items. Rising Tide eliminated some of the click spam required to set up the cannons, but the general resources are still the same. Saltpeter is forever over 300gp, costing me between 160 and 200k gold per 500. I sunk a few million into ingredients, crafted wildly, dispensed the resources throughout my cannons, and took off.

Rakuyn decided to join me as he's really big on sea type adventures, regardless of game. His greater dragon proved invaluable in holding aggro and helping us take down some mobs.


Imagine my surprise when the first enemy I came across was a plunderbeacon!

Our first attempt to take the orcs head on ended in failure. My ship got scuttled, and we had to crawl our way back to a nearby shore in order to  repair.

The next time we approached the beacon, I found out that we had to hang out in areas of the water that weren't directly in front of cannons, like above. Go figure. If you don't want to get hit by cannonballs, don't sit in front of the cannons.

Killing the orcs was easy enough once we figured out the sweet spots to stay in and keep our galleon safe. Then it was just a matter of parking some cannons in front of the beacon and firing like mad.


The end result was a very satisfying explosion, followed by a sinking animation of the entire setup.


Rakuyn and I decided to pool our resources together and have one of us turn in all of the maritime trade cargo for points. This plunderbeacon gave us 24,000 Doubloons! We're well on our way to earning our own triton statues, which can then be turned into pets if we so desire.


A few weeks ago I mentioned that I've been slowly buying up bones for my tailoring purposes. It took me about 4 days straight of keeping my eye on vendors, but I'm finally at about 90k bones. Today while pirating someone kept spamming chat and asking for 'bulk tailoring bones', offering a measly 1m per 60k.

While I understand that buying the bones yourself would only cost 180k per full stack, the fact that there are only two vendors that stock bones, the max they can ever hold at a time is 999, and restocking takes up to an hour means my time is worth much more than 820k profit.

In any case, I've been keeping an eye on the vendors again to gather up some more bones. In working through my BODs I've realized that I have a lot of bone BODs and it would behoove me to stock up on the bones now before I get around to filling them.

2 comments:

  1. I chuckled fondly at your ooOoOoooOo pic. The rest of the post is fascinating to me even though I've never gotten into any of the boating areas of the game. I keep trying to entice hubby back to playing by telling him how they've really expanded on that.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The seafaring adventures aspect of UO has really expanded beyond the old SOS days! It's definitely worth a look if he ever decides to give it a shot.

      Eventually I'll start doing fishmonger quests which give fishing powerscrolls and bait for special fish used in cooking recipes. I want 120 Fishing, dangit!

      Delete