Friday, March 13, 2015

Carpeting Those Difficult Floors!

So you have your beautiful design. You've decorated it and decided that there are some areas that will just look better with some carpeting, or even a bear rug! But what's this? The flooring is showing through the add-on! No problem, let's just try putting down individual tile carpets from Ter Mur...
Alas! We have the same issue! At first I thought I might have just had some issues with my own client, so I closed and started up UO again. Then I ran outside the house several times. Nope. I put some carpet tiles outside on the reddish tiled porch, and everything was back to normal. How frustrating! The specific floor tile I had chosen was causing this issue.
I wasn't willing to change the flooring of my house design (it just went together so well, in my eyes!) so I decided to try and see if raising up the carpet (or bear rug) would fix my problem.

Now anyone who messes with add-ons or carpets knows that you can't use an interior decorating tool on the item. The game will tell you 'that isn't locked down' or other mumbo jumbo that basically means 'I don't wanna' (insert child's tantrum right here).
A good way around this is to use single tile gozas!
The important thing to remember when using gozas for this is if you are using a multi-tile addon, you need an amount of gozas equivalent to the number of tiles the add-on takes up. A plain red rug will need 9 gozas to get to work. A medium stone table will need two tiles. If you are doing individually tiled carpets from Laifem the Weaver, as I am here, then you can work with as little as one goza at a time.
Place down your gozas wherever you want your carpet or rug. Using an interior decorator tool, raise each goza up by one. Once all of your gozas are raised, place your carpet/add-on items and viola! flooring issue is fixed. All that's left is destroying the gozas under your design. In the step 2. section of this image you can see that the carpet covers up most of the gozas under the middle of the carpet. I can't quite target those pesky goza tiles with ease. A good way to fix this is recall away (the point is to cross a server line so your house is no longer stored on the client cache), then come back. The gozas will be on top of the carpet and you'll be able to easily destroy them without worrying about your lovely carpet you worked so hard to place down.
Here is the final look. You get lovely carpet and you don't even notice the change in height unless you really, really scrutinize your character while you walk over it. It may be a bit time consuming if you're impatient like me, but I decided that this would be easier than redoing the entire floor of my house and there was no way I was going to let the blank spaces hang out there.
Have you ever had to change a house design because something in your head didn't quite apply to the screen very well?

No comments:

Post a Comment