Saturday, December 21, 2019

UOD: December 21, 2019 - Rebuilding


Something very unfortunate happened earlier this year. The two most important houses Nestor and I owned fell. The castle and my 2nd Malas 18x18. Between those two houses, we had all of our soulstones, rares, collectibles, resources... just about everything.

It was a complete accident, but the damage was devastating enough that it's taken me nearly six months to even try playing again, and in that time I kept seesawing between 'just cancel all the accounts' and 'maybe just prevent the other houses from falling.'

A few days ago I decided that I should force myself to play instead of wallowing in self pity and get an answer for good on whether I could ever enjoy playing again. Perhaps this sounds a bit dramatic, but anyone who has played this game or any other game for over 2/3 of their life and seen all of those years of effort disappear may understand the sting it leaves.


The good news is I still have the keep. Unfortunately, the incident has pushed Nestor away from the game and he's decided to quit for good, leaving the accounts to me again.

In an effort to rebuild I decided a change of scenery with the keep was in order. Since I no longer had the castle to support my plant growing addiction, and the classic layout of the keep didn't leave enough space for all of the garden beds I still had, I decided to start preparing to convert the keep into one of the more spacious custom keep designs that have become available over the past year and a half.


Thus, a mad clicking spree ensued. I didn't have it in me to move all of the pieces into bags and store them, so I went the route of simply letting everything despawn.

It took three or four rounds of despawning, a few hours, an overnight sleep, and a surprise grass tile that was hiding in a corner, but I finally switched over the design.


Welcome to my new greenhouse, using Robin's Nest! I'm not 100% happy with the design, but it was the most open one I could find out of all of the winning keep designs so I'll just have to make do.

So far the game has been fun, and I can see myself still playing. The loss still stings, but it's not completely irreversible. I just need to slowly build up my collection yet again. And re train the skills lost by those soulstones. Phooey.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I can absolutely relate to how upsetting loosing all that stuff is! We played obsessively for years before the menfolk started drifting away. I kept playing for a while longer, then started logging on less and less. I moved my most beloved things into banks and backpacks just in, ended up phasing out of the game but for probably over a year but was still paying. I gave it another try for a while, unpacked all the rares and things I'd worked for, but soon found I just wasn't into it anymore. I totally thought that was it. Why keep paying for accounts no one was logging onto? So one day I just cancelled the accounts, knowing my valuables were not packed up. It was like, 'I done this time, cutting ties, doesn't matter if everything is gone.' Sure enough, maybe six months later I had the urge to go back and EVERYTHING was gone. It's freakin' hard to start over with NOTHING. LOL! Lesson learned though! I only played a couple months that time, didn't accomplish much in my return, and phased away again. This time I did put stuff in banks again, although there isn't much at this point. It's been over a year and I'm feeling a very strong urge to return...again. There is just something about this game that World of Warcraft and Wizard101 can't compare to for me.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! There has always been something about UO that keeps me playing that I just can't get anywhere else!

      I even tried playing WoW Classic when it was released and while the nostalgia trip was super fun, it's still not the same as UO

      Delete