Wednesday, February 8, 2017

UOD: February 8, 2017


Something awesome happened on Atlantic. I saw a population level of "high" during an off-peak time.
I know I don't have the best indicator of activity levels for the game, seeing as I've been mostly absent from it for the better part of a year and even when I would play I was limited to my own bubble. I'm seeing lots of people mention increased activity levels, however, and that makes me happy. This isn't part of the normal cycle of player activity that happens every year so I'm convinced to some level that there's been a resurgence of players. Nestor's return alone has brought on the opening of 3 long closed accounts, so who knows what others are doing.



We hopped in for another Deal or No Deal this week, this time on Great Lakes. We didn't win anything, but it was still a nice weekly get together to participate in.

I remember the old days of weekly auction houses on Lake Austin. There was one I always went to, ICE auction, that was in the icy mountains northwest of Luna. The two owners eventually got married and there was a big ceremony in game.


I'm still plugging away at my skills on Atlantic. My tamer has worked her way to 95 taming. Woooooooo!

I was having trouble figuring out where to train my provocation on my bard until I remembered the new(er) bard masteries system. Using my provocation mastery, all I have to do is cast a bard song over and over and the gains are really fast. In one day of very relaxed playing and "training" (spamming "cast last spell" macro whenever I was sitting still) I got from a little over 90 to 100. Now I'm at 104.3 and I feel ever so slightly relevant when I play my bard now! She can actually provoke a fair amount of creatures now!


Nestor had fond memories of taming cu sidhes, so we took a gander at taming some to try and get some of the rare colors or even a highly ranked cu sidhe. We had several successful tames (as we did not want to kill them and thus lose karma) but none of the tames were ones we intended to keep. We lasted a few hours before deciding to call it a day.


I found several fabled fishing nets laying around and thought it might be fun to kill some leviathons. I checked with UOGuide and it mentioned that Scalis would only spawn if the thrower had 100 fishing. Perfect!

Unfortunately, UOGuide is maintained by regular players and has not been kept up to date with the lessened state of the game. While that information about GM fishing and Scalis may have been accurate at one point, it was no longer.

Our 2nd net toss ended in disaster. I was desperately trying to pilot the ship away from the ginormous crab-man with my horrible ping and meanwhile Nestor was desperately confused, wondering why the hell I was freaking out. He died, I almost died, my (bonded) beetle died, and his poor dragon got upset at us for not letting him try and eat the boss.

I took some time afterwards to adjust the information on UOGuide, and that led me down a several day path of updating/creating any and all pages I had the resources to. I've had issues with some of JC's actions and words in the past, but it occurred to me that refusing to help keep UOGuide up to date would do more harm than good. Letting the site crumble would be a bigger blow to the UO community than it would be to him, and my issues with him were petty enough that they shouldn't have kept me from maintaining UOGuide.

Long story short, I've been working on filling in any gaps in UOGuide's pages whenever I get the chance. Looking around at the pages, I feel like the most up to date information is stuff that affects and is affected by PvP, so I believe my PvM based gameplay will help keep other aspects of the website up to date.

No comments:

Post a Comment